"Preparing The Next Generation of Great Investors"
YIS Global Stock Pitch Competition
- Asian - Global
Young Investors Society
The Young Investors Society (YIS) is a non-profit corporation. YIS was formed in 2014 by a group of experienced Wall Street investors looking to invest their knowledge in the next generation of kids. They noticed that financial literacy was being taught poorly at most high schools across the country. Many schools had no organized investment programs, and the ones that did were teaching all the wrong principles: short-term, high-risk, gambling methodologies emphasized by stock performance judged over a month or two. Young Investors Society aimed to correct this. Its programs are written and directed by a group of over 30 professional investors. High-school students have the unique privilege to be taught fundamental, long-term investing in a fun and exciting way. The Young Investors Society is dedicated to preparing the next generation of investors.
YIS provides students with different learning and practice opportunities to enrich their Financial Literacy Cognition from two dimensions: Corporate Finance and Personal Finance. For this purpose, it organizes the Global Stock Pitch Competition and provides a wealth of Financial Literacy courses. Besides, YIS also provides students with two high-quality financial certification programs, Certified Young Investment Analyst and the CFA Institute Investment Foundation Program, so that students can fully participate in the financial practice. Website：https://yis.org/.
In 2022, ASDAN China became an exclusive partner of YIS in China. Both organizations aim to offer YIS's activities to high school students in China and jointly cultivate the future commercial elites.
YOUNG INVESTORS SOCIETY
GLOBAL STOCK PITCH COMPETITION
YIS' annual flagship event is the Global Stock Pitch Competition. This competition is the culmination of investment skills gained during the year and provides High School students with hands-on mentoring in financial analysis. Students (individually or in teams of two) create a "best stock idea" and analyze a publicly-traded company. Each student/team writes a report on their chosen company with a "Buy" or "Sell" recommendation and then presents and defends their analysis in a written report and brief to the judge panel.
- United States
- South Korea
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- China HK
* The Regional Round and National Round contain the above two academic sections (Stock exchange challenge and stock pitch competition), while the Asian Round and the Global Round include only the stock pitch competition section. But the difculty increases step by step.
*There is no restriction and students can partake in regional rounds repeatedly in order to qualify for the National round.
Regional Round Agenda
- Format：Individual competition and team competition
- Numbers per team: 1-2 students
- Language: English
- Sessions：Stock Exchange Challenge and Stock Pitch Challenge Beginner level , Individual competition and team competition
- Duration：One day in weekend
- 10:00 - 11:00：Opening Ceremony and rules introduction
- 11:00 - 11:20：Test Round
- 11:30 - 12:30：Challenge 1: Stock Exchange Challenge
- 14:30 - 16:30：Challenge 2: Stock Pitch Competition*
- 16:30 - 17:00：Award Ceremony
*Academic materials for challenge 2 will be posted 7 days before the competition. Students can prepare in advance.
- Platinum：TOP 5%
- Gold：TOP 15%
- Silver：TOP 20%
- Bronze：TOP 30%
- Promotion Award：TOP 50%
- Scoring Strategy：The ranking will be based on the results of both challenges, each having equal weight.
Stock Exchange Challenge Awards
- 1st Place：TOP 5% in this session
- 2nd Place：TOP 15% in this session
- 3rd Place: TOP 30% in this session
Stock Pitch Challenge Awards
Students will be randomly allocated to different judges to show their presentations. Best
presenters will be awarded.
*All Award winners will receive a digital award certificate
*All delegates will receive a digital certificate of participation
Regional Round Academic Challenge Sessions
Stock Pitch Challenge：young investors will analyze a stock of their chosen company and generate a “Stock Pitch Report” with a “Buy” or “Sell” recommendation, which will be judged by a panel of Industry Professionals and University Professors. The difficulty levels for this challenge are beginner, intermediate, advanced, and final.
Beginner Level：Learn how to choose stocks, master financial investment principles and terminology, be able to use investment analysis framework, complete independent stock analysis, and develop essential financial English presentation ability.
- Date：Feburary, 2024
- Location: China
- Language: English
- Sessions：Stock Exchange Challenge and Stock Pitch Challenge（Intermediate level），Individual competition and team competition (Composition shall be the same as in Regional Round)
- Platinum： TOP 5%
- Gold: TOP 15%
- Silver: TOP 25%
- Bronze: TOP 40%
- Qualification Benchmark：Platinum team will be invited to participate in Asian Round
National Round Academic Challenge Sessions
- Date：April, 2024
- Language: English
- Session：Investment Analysis (Advanced level)
- Format：Individual competition or team competition (Composition shall be the same as in Regional Round)
- Qualification Benchmark：Asian Top 3
- Advanced level: Face Asian/Global competitors. This stage tests students' independent thinking and judgment ability. Students must have unique opinions on stock choosing, analyzing, and predicting stock trends. They must demonstrate and analyze logically and have excellent English persuasion ability.
- Date：May, 2024
- Location：The United States
- Language: English
- Sessions: Investment Analysis (Final level)
- Format: Individual competition and team competition (Composition shall be the same as in Regional Round)
- Final Level: Face Asian/Global competitors. This stage tests students' independent thinking and judgment ability. Students must have unique opinions on stock choosing, analyzing, and predicting stock trends. They must demonstrate and analyze logically and have excellent English persuasion ability.
Stock Investing 101 Ebook
YIS invited more than 30 financial experts to work together to compile "Stock Investing 101". The whole course will help students establish the financial investment concept, master the stock analysis tools, understand the intrinsic value of a stock, and form the financial language system.
Official video coursesMore than 20 video lessons with interactive exercises for students to master knowledge
Previous Winner's Presentations2017 - 2021
Learning Materials (only for registered students)
Unit 1: The Seven Golden Rules of Investing
Lesson 1 – Who Are Investors
Lesson 2 – What Does It Mean to Invest in the Stock Market?
Lesson 3 – Beating The Market
Lesson 4 – The Seven Golden Rules of Investing
Unit 2: The Value of a Stock
Lesson 1: Why Do Stock Prices Fluctuate?
Lesson 2 – What is the Value of a Stock?
Lesson 3 – Applying the P/E Ratio
Unit 3: What Makes a Good Business
Lesson 1 – What Makes a Good Business?
Lesson 2 – Whatever Floats Your Moat
Lesson 3 – The SWOT Analysis
Lesson 4 – Predicting The Future Activity
Unit 4: Finding Stocks to Invest In
Lesson 1 – Coming Up With Investment Ideas
Lesson 2 – Using Research Reports to Evaluate Stocks
Lesson 3 – Make a List of Investment Ideas
Unit 5: Learning to Speak the Language of Finance
Lesson 1 – Introduction to Accounting
Lesson 2 – The Income Statement
Lesson 3 – The Balance Sheet
Stock Pitch Tutorial Videos
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 1 - Introduction
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 2 - Choosing A Company
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 3 - The Investment Thesis
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 4 - Company Overview
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 5 - Competitive Advantage & Moats
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 6 - Forecasting
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 7 - Setting A Target Price
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 8 - Investment Risks
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 9 - Q&A Session
Stock Pitch Prep Video Part 10 - Tips & Tricks
2021 YIS Global Stock Pitch Competition-1st Place
2020 YIS Global Stock Pitch Competition-1st Place
2019 YIS Global Stock Pitch 1st Place
2018 YIS Global Stock Pitch Winner Re-cap Video
2017 YIS Stock Pitch Competition Sample
YIS High Quality Certifications Program
Besides the Global Stock Pitch Competition, YIS also provides students with two high-quality financial certification programs to help students explore in the financial field.
YIS CYIA™ Designation
The highest honor within the YIS
- The CYIA® Designation represents a tremendous achievement. It is widely respected by universities and future employers.
- Approximately 10% of students entering YIS achieve the CYIA® Designation.
- YIS CYIA™ holder is qualified to participate in the CFA Institute Investment Foundations® program.
Step 1：First Trial
（September – July of the following year）
The applicant submits the application, the organizing committee reviews it. Standards of application：
1. Participate in a Regional Stock Pitch Competition
2. Minimum GPA of 3.0 or equivalent (official transcript)
3. High School Teacher Letter of Recommendation
Step 2：Written Exam（According to Committee）
Online exam: Students who passed First Trial will be invited to participate in. Written exam has two sections.
Section1: 1-hour Online Timed Test. 60 Multiple-choice questions. Exam based on the concepts of Finance, Economics, and Business. Passing score is 70%.
Section2: You have one week to write an essay of no more than 500 words on the topic of Financial Investment. A B + grade will be acceptable.
Step 3：Interview （According to Committee）
30 to 40 minutes Final interview in English with a YIS Board Member. It mainly tests students' understanding and analytical ability of financial investment. Successful students will be awarded a Certified Young Investment Analyst.
CFA Investment Foundations® program
Young Investors Society has partnered with the CFA Institute to bring the CFA Investment Foundations® program to our YIS students. This program is designed to offer YIS CYIA™ members with the opportunity to study CFA. Through online courses and professional assessment, students who successfully pass the online exam earn the CFA institute Investment Foundation Certificate to prepare for the CFA exam.
Note: This program offers CFA Level 1 Foundation courses
- CFA official certification
- 80-hour online courses
- Official entry for high school students
- The Program covers the essentials of finance, ethics, and investment roles, providing a clear understanding of the global investment industry.
- 80-hour online learning within 180 days
- Professional online evaluation(100 mins)
- After passing the exam, you will receive a paper CFA certificate and an digital badge
SPONSORS & PARTNERS
These companies are partners of YIS, and work with YIS every year to cultivate the practical ability of young people in the field of financial investment.