International Geography Bee
The World's most popular World Geography Carnival
Primary · Junior · Senior
The International Geography Bee (IGB) is an academic geography challenge sponsored by the International Academic Competitions Committee. As one of the most prestigious integrated academic competitions in the US, IGB has been used to select the US national team for the International Geography Olympiads. The purpose of the event is to provide a platform for primary and secondary school students around the world to test their knowledge about world geography, stimulate their interest in the study of geography, and help them enhance their geographic literacy. The top participants will be invited to the Global Round of the International Geography Championship and compete with other outstanding peers from all over the world! Featuring fun, multidisciplinary challenges, and education activities backed by cutting-edge research, IGB has been increasingly popular around the world, attracting over 50,000 students from more than 50 countries to take part every year.
The mission of the IGB is to reward academic achievement by bringing innovative, stimulating, fair, and intellectually competitive opportunities to students worldwide. The Committee firmly believes that academic competitions play a unique role in education by encouraging students to explore new areas of knowledge while rewarding achievement in the classroom. Academic competitions not only help students gain self-confidence, make new friends, enhance memory, and give students an edge on future college applications, but most importantly, ignite a passion for lifelong learning! We would like to offer this unique opportunity to children around the world!
The content covers (but is not limited to) hydrology, atmosphere, rocks, soils, population, cities, transportation, mountains, rivers, islands, landmarks and other topics in physical geography and human geography.
Hosting countries and regions
IGB provides a platform for geography lovers from around the world to showcase their talents, attracting over 50,000 students from thousands of schools in over 50 countries in North America, Europe, Asia and Oceania each year!
- Date:November 6, 2022/December 18, 2022/January 7, 2023/March 11, 2023/April 1, 2023
- Location: Host schools/online
- Rules:The IGB qualification round will be an individual written test in which students are required to complete a total of 50 multiple-choice questions about geography within 30 minutes. Two points will be awarded for a correct answer, and one point will be deducted for a wrong answer. No points will be earned or deducted for a blank answer.
- Eligibility:All primary and secondary school students who are interested in the activity can register to participate. Each student may register for only one Qualifier Round per year.
- Age Divisions:Students should register for the following divisions according to their age.
- Elementary Division: 12 years old or below (born on or after September 1, 2010)
- Middle School Division: 12-14 years old (born between September 1, 2008, and August 31, 2010)
- Junior Varsity Division: 14-16 years old (born between September 1, 2006, and August 31, 2008)
- Varsity Division: 16 years old or above (born on or before August 31, 2006)
- Language Settings:
- Elementary Division: Chinese / English
- Middle School Division: Chinese / English
- Junior Varsity Division: English
- Varsity Division: English * Language settings above are only for the Qualifier Round and the National Round. The Global Round will all be held in English.
- Advancement Criteria: In each division of the Qualifier Round, students who score above the minimum score line set by the organizing committee can advance to the National Round. (The advancement rate is around 60%.)
- Advancement Award: All students who qualify for advancement will receive a qualifier certificate (electronic version).
- Participation Certificate: All participating students will receive a participation certificate (electronic version). * Academic materials: The organizing committee will provide academic materials in English and Chinese (some materials will be in English only)
- Date：April 29-May 2, 2023
Morning Afternoon Evening Day 1 Registration Opening Ceremony Ice-breaking Day 2 GeoGuesser (Team Challenge) Geography Task Force (Individual Challenge) World Geography Fair (Team Challenge) Geo Show Workshop Day 3 IGB Quiz Bee (Individual Challenge) Geography Show (Team Challenge) Closing and Awards Ceremony Day 4 Departure
- Participants with the top three scores in each division of the IGB Quiz Bee will be granted the first, second and third place awards.
- The top 50% of participants in each division of the IGB Quiz Bee will be awarded as winners, and the top 50% of participants competing in English will advance to the Global Round.
- Champion, Runner-up, Second Runner-up, and winners of each challenge
- Best Individual Award
- Best Team Award
- All participating students will receive a certificate of participation (electronic version).
- Winners have the opportunity to receive DK-published books as prizes.
Your Journey to Explore Geography
1. IGB Quiz Bee
The Quiz Bee/Bowl is a buzzer-based academic quiz activity and is popular with students around the world for its exciting format and the way it encourages independent inquiry! The IGB Quiz Bee is an individual quiz competition in which participants buzz in to answer questions and score points for correct answers. The competition is divided into three preliminary rounds and one final round. All registered students will participate in three preliminary rounds, and the winners of the preliminaries will move to the final round.
Skills: the ability to quickly recall knowledge in a stressful environment
* Academic materials will be provided by the organizing committee
** Top 50% of participants in each division of the IGB Quiz Bee (in English) will advance to the Global Round.
2. World Georgraphy Fair
From the atmosphere, water and rocks, to the amazing landscapes, and to the diverse civilizations and countries, geography is everywhere with us. The DK World Geography Fair encourages participants to select the most interesting and impressive geographic phenomena, and showcase them with DIY crafts, video, digital art, and other creative forms! Each piece of artwork will convey the magnificence of the world and tell people how cool geography is!
Skills: creativity, presentation skills, research skills
3. Geography Task Force
How to use geography knowledge to solve real-life problems? Write your in-depth paper to show how Geography plays a major role in global affairs and society!
Skills: creativity, research ability, writing skills
4. Geography Drama
Have you ever imagined that geography is no longer just in texts, but comes alive with a piece of performance or music? Geography Drama provides a stage for young artists and talented geographers. Through cooperation with your teammates, you will design and perform a geography-themed show, making geography more interesting and vivid!
Skills: creativity, teamwork
Observe geography clues to open the "city blind box"! Landscape features, architecture, transportation etc., anything in the picture can become the key to solving the puzzles! Recognize the correct city to become the ultimate " Geoguesser Master "!
Beijing, Heilongjiang, Jilin, Liaoning, Shanxi, Shandong, Henan, Hebei, Tianjin, Neimenggu
Shenzhen, Zhongshan, Zhuhai, Fujian, Hongkong, Macao, Taiwan, and overseas
Guangdong(Except Shenzhen, Zhongshan, and Zhuhai), Guangxi,Hainan
Hunan, Hubei, Anhui, Xinjiang, Jiangxi
Sichuan, Chongqing, Shaanxi, Yunnan, Guizhou, Ningxia, Gansu, Qinghai, Xizang