Dear Smart Speechmakers,
Welcome to the world of speaking!
Good eloquence will significantly benefit you throughout your life. Your voice matters! Warren Buffett once said: "Speech is an asset that can last for 50 or 60 years. You will suffer losses for 50 or 60 years if you don't like speeches."
For 70 years, the British Speech Council has been helping English learners improve their communication skills and express themselves confidently. Just as literacy and numeracy are important foundations for reading, writing and math, oracy is a vital foundation for successful speaking, listening and communication. Confident and effective interpersonal and communication skills are key for employ-ability and also help students build self-esteem, determination, resilience, empathy, self-confidence and self-identity and improve writing skills. It also gives full play to the subjective initiative and achieve academic success.
In 2022, we formed an official partnership with ASDAN China to invite more Chinese students to join the ESB Graded Examinations in Speech Qualifications family. We aim to stimulate everyone's enthusiasm for English learning and verbal expression, help more and more Chinese students express themselves confidently and generously, and use English flexibly!
English Speaking Board (ESB) Introduction
English Speaking Board (ESB) Introduction
English Speaking Board (International) Ltd. (ESB International), founded in 1953, is the UK's top authoritative oral speech and language assessment and qualification body. It offers high-quality Speech and Language qualifications internationally and has conducted more than 10,000 assessments per year. The ESB Graded Examinations in Speech Qualifications exam has been officially certified by UCAS (UK Universities and Colleges Admissions Service Center) and OFQUAL (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
ESB Graded Examinations in Speech Qualificationsis an international English speech-level certification system provided by English Speaking Board (International) Ltd. for language learners worldwide. It integratesself-expression, public speaking, and text readingto assess the comprehensive quality and English proficiency.
It is for learners who speak English as an additional language. The ESB Graded Examinations in Speech include three levels:Entry 1, Entry 2 and Entry 3 and benchmark A1-B1 level of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). It is an excellent certification challenge for young English learners to practice eloquence, enhance self-confidence, explore learning potential and improve overall quality.
The qualifications are based on educational theory and research into oracy and focus on the interactivity of communication and the personal development it creates.They are split into four sections: Talk, Speaking by Heart, Reading Aloud, Listening and Responding, each with its own rationale and outcomes. They will lead learners to unlock a new form of expression in spoken English and fully enhance learners' flexibility and scene-based application in language use.
The comprehensive and detailed qualification process will give candidates a richer harvest and unforgettable experience. Candidates could interact with local British examiners online flexibly. The examiner will evaluate the whole process of their online examination by recording candidates' performance in each section.
ESB Graded Examinations in Speech Qualifications（Exam Level Setting and Suggested Age）
|Level||Entry 1||Entry 2||Entry 3|
|Suggested Age||7-9 yrs||9-11 yrs||11-13 yrs|
|CEFR Benchmarking Level||A1||A2||B1|
|Exam Duration||9 mins||10 mins||10 mins|
|Exam Sections||①Talk ②Speaking by Heart ③Reading Aloud ④Listening and Responding|
Why Choose Us
Exam Syllabus and Grade Descriptors
Certificates and Awards
Candidates who successfully pass the exam will receive a grade certificate and assessor's Report issued by English Speaking Board (International) Ltd.
The exam results will be displayed on the grade certificate, learners can be awarded one of the following grades
- Good Pass
- Merit Plus
Application Requirements for Test Center:
Enrollment of 15 students and above, regardless of the level of the examination.
The Honors for Test Center:
Once school registered over 15 students or more, the school can apply for a bronze medal recognizing school as the ESB Test Center
1. Schools submit test center school applications
2. ASDAN China will confirm to the test center school upon receiving the application
3. The examination session can be booked for a minimum of 15 students. If there are less than 15 students, they can join the ASDAN's regular exam sessions.
• Exam Language：English
• Exam Time：ASDAN China regularly organizes exam every other month, candidates can choose any level to sign up for. Schools can also set up their own exam centers and organize tailor-made sessions. Please confirm with the ASDAN Examination Organizing Committee for the exam center setting standards and detailed rules.
• Exam Platform：ZOOM (need to use an lap top/tablet/mobile phone with a camera and microphone）
• Exam Venue Requirements：2-2.5 square meters of space (Home is acceptable)
• Dress Code：Candidates should wear clothing that is comfortable for movement and appropriate for the exam. Keep hairstyle neat and clean, and ensure the whole body of the candidate can be clearly seen.
特别说明：上述在线考试模式已与考试组委会 ESB 沟通确认。基于中国当前特殊情况，考试组委会同意按照此在线模式进行考试认证。
Refund Policy：The session transfer and refund will not be accepted 3 weeks before the exam date.
1. Candidates need to send the digitally scanned copies of the chosen stories and poems, as well as the PPT or pictures (if applicable) to the ASDAN organizing committee email: firstname.lastname@example.org (3 days before the exam)
2. Candidates need to enter the waiting room of the ZOOM exam room 15 minutes before the exam and wait to enter the ZOOM exam room (candidates younger than 12 can have their parents help to coordinate)
3. ASDAN exam coordinator will arrange for candidates to enter the ZOOM exam room in sequence according to the exam schedule
5. Follow the examiner's arrangement, and the ASDAN exam coordinator will calculate the exam time and record the exam process
6. Candidates finish each exam session with "That's it, thank you."
7. After completing all the examination sections, the candidate ends with "thank you" and bows or makes similar gestures to signal the examiner
8. When the exam is done, exit the ZOOM exam room
Regional Academic Specialists
Ms Zhang 13269709296
Ms Wang 15618633087
Ms Wu 13166025498
Ms Li 15507502864
Ms Li 18502808484
Mr Wang 13086629260